Visit 9 Temples Boosting Fortune with “Tamboon Tanjai”

Sometimes, we want to relax, boost our lives, advance in work and business as well as overcome all problems and obstacles. It must be nice if we can make merit and strengthen our soul. If you have had those thoughts, we recommend the trip to 9 temples in Bangkok. Not only it is easy to travel and can be done within a day, you can choose to either to visit on weekends or weekdays. 

There is no need for tiresome plans. More importantly, all the temples in this trip allow you to make donations easily without having to carry cash with “Tamboon Tanjai” through the scanning of QR Code via SCB EASY App, and making merit is just at the tip of your finger. We shall now introduce you to the trip and tricks in detail of where you should go for merit-making. Without further ado, let us explore!


Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram Ratchaworawihan

Let us start off with Wat Benchamabophit, a first-class Royal Temple. This is an ancient temple with an original name of “Wat Lam” or “Wat Sai Thong”. There is no evidence of which era this temple was constructed. Until 1826, during the reign of King Nangklao Rama III, there is a record in history that HRH Krom Phra Pipit Pokaphuben with his 4 siblings constructed this temple at around 1827-1828. During the reign of King Mongkut Rama IV, His Majesty gave the new name to this temple, calling it “Wat Benchabophit” which means the temple of 5 monarchs or the temple that was constructed by 5 monarchs. Later on, during the reign of King Chulalongkorn the Great, His Majesty King Rama V gave a new name to this temple, changing it to “Wat Benchamabophit” which means the Monastery of the fifth King to show the reign sequence in Chakri Dynasty. After that His Majesty gave a piece of land that he called Dusitwanaram to Wat Benchamabophit, the former name of the temple was combined with the name of the land and the name of the temple changed into Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram. Later on, there was the word “Ratchaworawihan” added at the end and the name of the temple became Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram Ratchaworawihan during the reign of King Vajiravudh Rama VI.

Ubosot of the ordination hall of the temple was built during the reign of King Rama V with Prince Narisara Nuvativongse as a designer and Phraya Ratcha Songkram (Kon Hongsakul) as the contractor. The ubosot was considered a building with an elegant ancient architecture and the temple was praised as one of the temples with the best design. Also, it was decorated with the best marble from Italy and is known widely among foreign visitors under the name of “Marble Temple”.

Praying points

  • Phra Buddha Chinnarat Buddhist Statue at the ordination hall. It was a duplication of the original Phra Buddha Chinnarat situated at Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat, Phitsanulok. The statue is in a subduing Mara posture. It was made from bronze with a width of about 137 inches and a height of 168 inches.
  • Phra Hariphunchai Boromabodhisattava is a Buddhist statue in Samadhi's posture on the lotus base. It was made of bronze in Lanna – Hariphunchai style arts. The Ministry of Education had announced that this is an important statue with a rare beauty. It was located in the corridor of Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram. Phra Hariphunchai Boromabodhisattava was originally located in Wat Phra That Hariphunchai, Lamphun.
  • Phra Fang is a Buddhist statue in subduing Mara posture, decorated as Chakravartin. It was a bronze gilded statue in Ayutthaya style art. The statue was assumed to be constructed by Chao Phra Fang when he was a Buddhist supreme patriarch in Fang city and it was originally a statue in the ordination hall of Wat Phra Fang Sawangkaburi Muninat. Until 1901, King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) ordered it to be placed at the balcony of the vihara of Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram until today.

Wat Rajathiwas Rajaworavihara

Let us go on to the next temple. If we drive down to Samsen Road, Wat Rajathiwas Rajaworavihara will appear insight. It is one of the oldest temples that was reconstructed under the order of many Kings from the Chakri Dynasty during their reign. It is the temple with importance in Buddhist history in Thailand and is related to Kings of the Chakri Dynasty all along. It holds a post of second-class Royal Temple and is the Dhammayutika sect, Royal Temple. It was built in 1820 and formerly named Wat Samurai. It was an ancient temple since the Ayutthaya period. During the reign of King Mongkut Rama IV, His Majesty gave the temple a new name of “Wat Rajathiwas” which means a temple where the King resides. The reason being that this temple was where King Buddha Loetlanaphalai and HRH Maha Senanurak were ordained as monks and where King Mongkut resided when he was ordained as a monk as well. During HM King Mongkut’s ordination in this temple, he elected Dhammayutika sect monks according to his intention to restore Buddhism in Siam and corrected practices and rituals to go according to the scriptures. Up till now, the election of monks still continues on in parallel with Thai society.

Praying points

  • Phra Sam Buddha Phanee image (duplication) is a Buddhist statue that King Rama V ordered to have this constructed by copying the image of a statue with the very same name as his father, King Rama IV, that was placed within the ordination hall of Wat Phra Si Rattana Satsadaram in 1909 to be the new prominent Buddhist statue of this temple. At the base of this statue, the ash of Queen Mother Sri Bajrindra was placed there under the order of King Rama VI.

Wat Indravihan

The next temple is located opposite to Bank of Thailand along Wisut Kasat Road near Bangkhunphrom intersection. Wat Indravihan existed before the Rattanakosin period. Its original title was Wat Bangkhunphrom Nok. The important construction happened during the reign of King Rama I as His Majesty bestowed a piece of land in the Bangkhunphrom area to the Vientiane prisoners-of-war. Chao Indra, an uncle of Chao Noi Khiew Khom, the Royal Consort of King Rama I, constructed the temple and bestowed the temple under the care of Chao Khun Phra Aranyik, a monk from Vientiane, who became an abbot of the temple. Later on, there was another renovation by Chao Indrawong, son of HRH Phra Boworn Rajchao Mahasakdipholasep. Chao Khun Phra Aranyik was an expert in meditation and was a teacher of Somdej Phra Buddhacharn (To) of Wat Rakhangkhositaram, who initiated the construction of Luang Pho To, a gigantic standing Buddha statue. However, they were able to build the statue as high as the navel when Somdej Phra Buddhacharn (To) passed away. After that, during the reign of King Rama VI, His Majesty ordered the name of the temple to be changed into Wat Indravihan as he deemed that the previous name was similar to Wat Intharam (Wat Bangyirua Tai) in Thonburi. The construction of Luang Pho To went on with faith. It took a total of 60 years to complete in the reign of King Rama VII.

Praying points

  • Luang Pho Indra, a subduing Mara posture Buddhist statue located within the ordination hall. It was made of mortar.

  • Luang Pho To, a Buddhist statue in holding alms bowl posture with a height of 32 meters and width of 10 meters. Somdej Phra Buddhacharn (To Phrom Rangsi) initiated the construction in 1867 during the reign of King Rama IV.

  • ·The Holy Well of Somdej Phra Buddhacharn (To Phrom Rangsi) that can be drunk or sprinkle over the head for blessing, granting wishes, and casting away misfortunes. This well was built at the same time as the Buddhist statue. Formerly, the well was sheltered by the wooden building, and later in 1987, the abbot at that time demolished the old building and constructed a new one. The new building was constructed into a shape similar to the stupa in modern Thai style and was completed in 1988. The middle of the well is where the marble charm located. The charm contains 121 original spells of Somdej Phra Buddhacharn (To Phrom Rangsi) that was discovered under the pillar of the old well as well as Chinabanchorn spell, Yod Phra Gan, and Tripitaka. Also, there are 5 small wells containing relics of Guatama Buddha. There are images of 5 Buddhas carved around the big well. Wat Indravihan also gathered holy water all over the locations up to 381 places.

Wat Bowornniwet Vihara Rajaworavihara

The 4th temple is Wat Bowornniwet Rajaworavihara or Wat Bowornniwet Vihara (originally known as Wat Mai). It is a first-class Royal Temple constructed by Prince Mahasakdipolsep, the crown prince of King Rama III. This temple was a residence of 4 Buddhist supreme patriarchs and where Mahamakut Ragawithayalai University, the very first Buddhist institution in Thailand, located. Also, Wat Bowornniwet Vihara Rajaworavihara is the temple that King Rama VI and King Rama IX ordained as a monk.

Praying points

  • Phra Buddha Chinasi, the prominent Buddhist image in the ordination hall. It was brought from the northern vihara of Wat Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat, Phitsanulok in 1830. In the following year, the halo of the statue was plated with gold, new eyes were installed and bindi was removed. This is one of the most beautiful Buddhist statues that exist.

  • Phra Buddha Suwannakhet (Luang Pho To) is another Buddhist statue in the ordination hall. It was placed behind Phra Buddha Chinasi. Phra Buddha Suwannakhet or what people called “Phra To” or “Luang Pho Phet” was brought from Wat Sa Taphan, Phetchaburi.

  • Phra Phairi Phinat which is a Buddhist image situated within the second wall of the golden stupa behind the ordination hall. Phra Phairi Phinat was famous for warding off all evils. The story happened in 1848 when there was a person offering Phra Phairi Phinat to King Rama IV when he was ordained as a monk at Wat Bowornniwet Vihara during the reign of King Nangklao. Phra Phairi Phinat had shown miracles of clenching those who wanted to harm His Majesty. Thus, HM King Rama IV bestowed the name of “Phra Phairi Phinat” to this statue.

  • Phra Sri Sasada is a Buddhist image situated together with Phra Buddha Saiya within Phra Sasada Vihara. It was thought to be constructed together with Phra Buddha Chinnarat and Phra Luah during the reign of Maha Thammaracha I (King Li Thai).

Wat Suthat Thepwararam Ratchaworamahawihan

Let us move on to the 5th temple. Not very far by car from The Giant Swing is where Wat Suthat situated. It is the first-class Royal Temple that was constructed under the order of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke the Great Rama I (around 1807-1808). Originally, the temple was given the name of “Wat Mahasuthawat” but, at that time, only the base was built. Later on, during the reign of King Buddha Loetlanaphalai Rama II, His Majesty passed the order to continue the construction of the temple by hand-made the main gate of the vihara with Prince Jitrphakdi (nowadays, this gate is being kept in the museum). However, the reign was ended before the construction of the temple was completed. During the reign of King Nangklao Rama III, His Majesty allowed the continuation of construction until the vihara was completed and passed an order for the ordination hall, meeting hall, Sattamahasathan as well as the parsonage to be built and bestowed the name of Wat Suthat Thepwararam Ratchaworamahawihan to the temple with the monks taking residence there since then. Later on in the reign of King Rama IV and V, Phra Vihara Phra Si Sakyamuni and the ordination hall were further repaired. This is considered the temple of King Anada Rama VIII.

Praying points

  • Phra Si Sakayamuni (Phra To) is a Buddhist statue moved from the Royal Vihara in Wat Mahathat, Sukhothai. It is a statue built in Phra Ruang period. During the reign of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke, there was an order to move the statue into the vihara of Wat Suthat. At the base of the statue, the ash of King Anada was placed.

  • The statue of King Anada.

Wat Ratchabophit Mahasimaram

Here comes the 6th temple. Along the Fuang Nakhon Road in the Bamrung Muang area is where Wat Ratchabophit Sathitmahasimaram Ratchaworawihan, the first-class Royal Temple, is located. King Mongkut had ordered it to be constructed as the temple of his reign in 1869. The temple features a mixture of Thai and Western architectures in which the exterior was built in the Thai architectural style and decorated in Western-style for the interior. His Majesty King Rama IV also gave the name Wat Ratchabophit Mahasimaram which means the temple that was built by the king to this temple. Moreover, there are 8 stone pillars with a tip carved in Dhammajak shape as indications in all 8 directions.

The importance of Wat Ratchabophit Mahasimaram, apart from being the last Royal Temple that was built by the king according to the tradition of constructing the temple of the reign, it was where Somdet Phra Ariyavongsagatanana, the Buddhist supreme patriarch, resided.

Praying points

  • Phra Buddha Ankiros is a Buddhist statue in Samadhi posture, located within the ordination hall. It was built in Rattanakosin style art coated all over in gold with a total weight of 180 baht gold with a width of 60 inches. It was built according to the Life of Buddha. After Buddha meditated and chased away the evils, he remained in the Samadhi posture until his enlightenment. Phra Buddha Ankiros, thus, signifies happiness and prosperity and is a statue that people often come to pray before they started new things in life.

  • Bronze statue of King Rama V in front of the ordination hall.

  • The ash of the former Buddhist supreme patriarch.

Wat Phitchaya Yatikaram

Now, let us cross over to the Thonburi side and make merit at the 7th temple. Wat Phitchaya Yatikaram is considered a second-class Royal Temple. Originally, it was an abandoned temple. Later on, Somdet Chao Phraya Borom Maha Phichaiyat (That Bunnag) that people casually called Somdej Chao Phraya Ong Noi restored this temple during the reign of King Rama III. The architecture of the temple is a mixture of Thai and Chinese style that was popular at that time. The main feature is the Chinese-style roof without the gable apex. Both gables are featured with colorful dragon sculptures decorated with tiles. The ceiling along the corridor was painted with colorful flower painting. The pillars supporting the roof are made of stone in a cylindrical shape and the base is a story of The Three Kingdoms carved on stones. As Somdej Chao Phraya Ong Noi, at that time, was the chief of the trade who had trading brigs with China. So, he brought the ship’s ballast, colored tiles, and stones from China to decorate the temple. When the temple was completely restored, he offered the temple to King Rama III and the temple was called “Wat Phrayatikaram”. Later in the reign of King Mongkut, the name of the temple had changed into “Wat Phitchaya Yatikaram” or what laypeople called “Wat Phitchayat”.

Praying points

  • Phra Prang Wat Phitchaya Yatikaram Worawihan is where 4 Buddhist statues were located. There are 2 corn-cob shaped stupas facing the east where Sri Ariya Maitreya Bodhisattva is located. The western direction is where 4 models of Buddha’s footprints are carved on stones.

  • Buddhist image in subduing Mara posture is placed in the ordination hall. It is an ancient statue in the same era as Phra Buddha Chinasi. It was moved from vihara in Phitsanulok with the name of “Phra Sidharod” or “Luang Po Sompratthana” as laypeople called. It is a statue that was being worshipped by many Buddhists. There are also Luang Po Thong – Luang Po Ngaen with more than 114 years of age for Buddhists to worship.

Wat Arun Ratchawararam

The 8th temple is Wat Arun Ratchawararam or famously known as “Wat Chaeng”. During the Ayutthaya period, the temple was known as “Wat Makok”. It was considered the temple of the nation since the beginning of the Rattanakosin period. During the reign of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke the Great Rama I, Prince Itsarasunthon (the title of King Rama II at that time) went to stay at the former palace and renovated the whole Wat Chaeng. However, before the renovation was completed, King Rama I passed away. When HM King Buddha Loetlanaphalai took the throne, he continued the renovation and bestowed it with the new name of “Wat Arun Ratchatharam”. Later in the reign of King Rama IV, King Mongkut allowed for further renovation of the temple and changed its name into “Wat Arun Ratchawararam” with the full name of “Wat Arun Ratchawararam Ratchawaramahawihan”.

Praying points

  • “Phra Prang Wat Arun” is a gigantic size architectural corn-cob stupa consisted of 4 main and secondary corn-cob stupas. The huge stupa is 67 meters in height, made of bricks and decorated with seashells, tiles, and colorful porcelains in flower, leaf, and other patterns that were mostly from China. Apart from that, it was decorated with Kinnara, Kinnari, Yaksa, Deva, and Garuda. At the very top of the stupa, there was Noppasul installed. The small stupas were made of bricks and decorated with a mosaic of the same color as the big one. The small stupas were located in the south, north-eastern, south-eastern, north-western, and south-western directions of the big one.

  • Phra Buddha Dhamma Misarat Lokathatdilok is a subduing Mara posture Buddhist statue located within the ordination hall. It was made from metal mixed with gold. It is 1.75 meters wide. It is beautiful according to Rattanakosin style art. There was a tale that King Rama II made the sculpture of the face by himself. During the reign of King Mongkut, he made an order to put the ash of King Buddha Loetlanaphalai to be contained in the throne, decorated with fabric, and sculpted into Garuda pattern.

  • Phra Buddha Narumit is a Buddhist statue with King Rama II as a model. It is situated on top of the corn-cob stupa in front of the ordination hall.

  • Phra Buddha Chumpunut Maha Burut Lakhana Asutayanubopit, a Buddhist image located within the vihara of Wat Arun.

  • Phra Arun or Phra Chaeng is a Buddhist statue in subduing Mara posture. The body and clothing of the statue are of different colors. King Rama IV moved it into the vihara of Wat Arun and bestowed it the name similar to the name of the temple.    

Wat Rakhangkhositaram Woramahaviharn

Last but not the least, Wat Rakhangkhositaram is the 9th temple that is located along the Chao Phraya River. Formerly, the temple was known as Wat Bangwayai. It is an ancient temple constructed during the Ayutthaya period. In the Thonburi period, King Taksin the Great had his palace built near Wat Bangwayai and passed the order to restore the temple and make this temple the Royal Temple as well as a residence of the Buddhist supreme patriarch. Later on, during the Rattanakosin period, Wat Bangwayai was under the care of HRH Princess Sudawadee (Sa), an older sister of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke the Great. Her palace was near the temple and together with King Rama I, they restored the temple. One bell was found buried within the temple and HM King Rama I had the bell to be moved to Wat Phra Si Rattana Satsadaram and made 5 bells to Wat Bangwayai in exchange. After that, His Majesty bestowed the name “Wat Rakhangkhositaram” to the temple.

Besides, Wat Rakhang has a Tripitaka hall which has extremely beautiful architecture. It was formerly a room of King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke the Great when he was an officer during the Thonburi period and was given to the temple when he ascended to the throne. His intention was to renovate it to be the most beautiful Tripitaka hall.

Praying points

  • Phra Prathan Yim Rub Fah, a Buddhist image located in the ordination hall. It is a statue made of bronze-gold in Samadhi posture. The width is about 2 meters. In front of the statue were 3 monk statues seated with gestures of listening to the preaching. It is a statue and artifact that was praised to be highly beautiful.

  • Statue of Somdej Phra Buddhacharn (To Phrom Rangsi). The common representation of his is the statue that was built and located at Wat Rakhangkhositaram. It was thought to be constructed before 1901 with a width of 48 centimeters in Samadhi's posture. Nowadays, there are many followers visiting the temple to worship the statue.

After visiting 9 temples for New Year to have a prosperous life, let us make E-donation maintain Buddhism and support religious activities via SCB EASY App. The process is as followed:  

>> Scan QR Code to make a quick donation near the donation box.

>> Press ‘Accept’ to allow the bank to enclose the information to the Revenue Department and/or donation department for tax reduction.

>> Put in the donation amount and press confirm. The money will be transferred directly to the temple’s account.

The donation information that was sent to the Revenue Department will be used for tax reduction and we can click on the link below for more detail about E-donation that we did and proceed to the Revenue Department website.